Rules and Guidelines
Eligibility Requirements and Deadlines
1. To submit an entry to the essay contest, an individual must be a citizen of the United States
currently enrolled in a United States high school.
2. All contest materials must be received by January 1st, 2015 by 11:59 PM EST.
Please attach your essay as a Word document (or a document in another similar word processor) in an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Yale Scientific Magazine National Essay Competition: LAST NAME_FIRST NAME”. Include your name, school name, city and state of school, phone number, and grade level in the body of the email and at the top of your essay. Essays should be double-spaced, typed in Times New Roman, size 12 font, with 1 inch document margins. Name the essay file “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_YSM_CONTEST”.
1. Each individual may only submit one (1) essay entry.
2. All entries must be in essay form. Any other literary form will not be considered.
3. Each essay should reflect the contestant’s own writing and original thinking. Entries that show
evidence of plagarism will not be considered.
4. Each contestant must complete and attach a student entry form, which is available under the
“Submission Form” tab of the “Essay Contest” menu.
5. Entries should be no more than 1000 words in length.
6. Please include any citations in Chicago style at the end of the essay.
7. Essays must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
1st place will be published in the Winter 2014 issue of the Yale Scientific
2nd and 3rd places will be published on our website at www.yalescientific.org.
Top 3 entries will also win a yearly subscription to the publication and Yale
Scientific Magazine t-shirts.
Winners and honorable mentions will be announced on our website and contacted
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or need any clarification, please do not hesitate to
contact us at email@example.com.