Eligibility Requirements and Deadlines
1. To submit an entry to the essay contest, an individual must be a citizen of the United States currently enrolled in a United States high school.
2. In order to qualify for mentorship by a writer of the Yale Scientific Magazine, all contest materials must be received by the first draft deadline of October 20, 2012 by 11:59 PM EST, with a final draft date of November 10, 2012 by 11:59 PM EST.
3. Students may submit entries without mentorship by the final draft date of November 10, 2012 by 11:59 PM EST.
To submit a first draft for review by a Yale Scientific Magazine editor/writer, please attach your essay as a Word document (or a document in another similar word processor) to an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Yale Scientific Magazine National Essay Competition: First Draft LAST NAME_FIRST NAME”. Include your name, school name, city and state of school, phone number, and grade level in the body of the email and at the top of your first draft essay. Essays should be double-spaced, typed in Times New Roman, size 12 font, with 1 inch document margins. Name the essay file “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_YSM_CONTEST”.
Final drafts of essays must be submitted online through the “Submission Form” tab under the “Essay Contest” menu on www.yalescientific.org.
1. Each individual may only submit one (1) essay entry.
2. All entries must be in essay form. Any other literary form will not be considered.
3. Each essay should reflect the contestant’s own writing and original thinking. Entries that show evidence of plagarism will not be considered.
4. Each contestant must complete and attach a student entry form, which is available under the “Submission Form” tab of the “Essay Contest” menu.
5. Entries should be no more than 1000 words in length.
6. Please include any citations in Chicago style at the end of the essay.
7. Final drafts of essays must be submitted online through the “Submission Form” tab under “Essay Contest” menu on www.yalescientific.org.
1st place will be published in the Dec. 2012 issue of the Yale Scientific Magazine.
2nd and 3rd places will be published on our website at www.yalescientific.org.
Top 3 entries will also win a yearly subscription to the publication and Yale Scientific Magazine t-shirts.
Winners and honorable mentions will be announced on our website and contacted via email by Dec. 1, 2012.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.