Rules and Guidelines
Eligibility Requirements and Deadlines
1. To submit an entry to the essay contest, an individual must be a citizen of the United States
currently enrolled in a United States high school.
2. All contest materials must be received by January 1st, 2015 by 11:59 PM EST.
Please submit your essay in the “Submission” tab of the “Essay Contest” menu. Essays should be double-spaced, typed in Times New Roman, size 12 font, with 1 inch document margins.
2014 Essay Prompt
“How does bias affect the course of scientific research? Discuss how public and personal bias has hindered and facilitated scientific progress.”
1. Each individual may only submit one (1) essay entry.
2. All entries must be in essay form. Any other literary form will not be considered.
3. Each essay should reflect the contestant’s own writing and original thinking. Entries that show
evidence of plagarism will not be considered.
4. Each contestant must paste their essay in the entry form, which is available under the
“Submission” tab of the “Essay Contest” menu.
5. Entries should be no more than 1000 words in length.
6. Please include any citations in Chicago style at the end of the essay.
1st place will be published in the Winter 2014 issue of the Yale Scientific
2nd and 3rd places will be published on our website at www.yalescientific.org.
Top 3 entries will also win a yearly subscription to the publication and Yale
Scientific Magazine t-shirts.
Winners and honorable mentions will be announced on our website and contacted
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or need any clarification, please do not hesitate to
contact us at email@example.com.