Eligibility Requirements and Deadlines
1. To submit an entry to the essay contest, an individual must be a citizen of the United States currently enrolled in a United States high school.
2. All contest materials must be received by March 1st, 2017 by 11:59 PM EST.
This year we will be accepting multimedia responses, which will be judged in a separate category and awarded respective prizes.
Please submit your response to the Yale Scientific Magazine Synapse email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essays should be double-spaced, typed in Times New Roman, size 12 font, with 1 inch document margins. Please limit responses to 1,000 words.
Video/Audio submissions should be between 30 seconds and three minutes long.
Artwork/Photography of all forms are welcome. Please send either images or scans of your response. Participants may also include an optional paragraph (max. 300 words) further explaining their submission.
2017 Essay Prompt
1. Each individual may only submit one entry per category.
2. Each submission should reflect the contestant’s own work and original thinking. Entries that show evidence of plagiarism will not be considered.
3. Each contestant must submit his/her response via email to the Yale Scientific Magazine Synapse email: email@example.com.
4. Please include any citations in Chicago style at the end of the essay or in a separate document for multimedia submissions.
1st place essay and 1st place artwork/photography will be published in the next issue of the Yale Scientific Magazine. 1st place video/audio will be featured on the YSM website.
1st and 2nd place essays, artwork/photography, and video/audio will be published on our website at www.yalescientific.org.
Top 2 entries in each category will also receive certificates, a yearly subscription to the publication, and a Yale Scientific Magazine t-shirt.
Winners and honorable mentions will be announced on our website and contacted via email.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.