How is lactaid milk made?

Chenyu Lin September 1, 2010 11

Recently, the undergraduate Yale blog entitled “CrossCampus” uncovered a scandal in one of the undergraduate dining halls: the dining hall was serving expired lactaid milk. But what exactly is lactaid milk, how is it made, and is it more prone to spoilage than normal milk?

After drinking milk, most people are able to metabolize the sugar lactose, which is commonly found in milk products. Someone who is lactose-intolerant, however, lacks the digestive enzyme lactase necessary to break down lactose into glucose and galactose. If a person who suffers from the condition consumes a large amount of lactose, he or she may experience nausea, cramping, bloating, diarrhea, and flatulence.

Is there a way to mitigate these negative effects? Even the lactose-intolerant should have the right to drink milk, and this is where lactaid milk comes in. Lactaid milk, sold by McNeil Nutritionals, the company that also makes Splenda, is commonly used as a milk-replacement. For those of you who lack the ability to produce lactase, lactaid will bring the enzyme to you. A small dose of lactase is added to every serving of lactaid milk, ensuring that you will have the necessary tools to consume milk.

Interestingly, lactaid products typically carry less lactose than normal milk. Lactaid milk is actually less likely to spoil, since milk spoils because lactose digestion results in lactic acid. Furthermore, the lactase addition is perfectly safe for anyone to drink. It is digested as proteins and sugars and eventually passed through the gastrointestinal tract without posing any perils for the drinker—unless, of course, it has already expired.

11 Comments »

1. Bill December 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM - Reply

Can Lactaid milk make regular milk less likely to cause stomach discomfort if mixed together?

2. Paris Johnson January 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM - Reply

Tell me this, why does my milk ALWAYS spoil one week after opening? I had to discard a quart (purchased a 1/2 gallon) of milk that spoiled and the expiration date is Febuary 9,12. (FEB 09 12 03:51 0 51-4109. I still have the empty carton. This is NOT the first time this happend.

• Si Kobel March 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM - Reply

@Paris
      Your refrigerator is probably not cold enough and you are putting the milk carton close to the door or on the side. The more it is expose to outside temperature, the faster it will expire.

When you are taking it out for cereal or cooking..immediately place it inside the fridge again, don’t leave it out. I have had 3 weeks of no spoilage if I put the milk deep inside a cold fridge and never leave it out for long.

Hope that helps..

3. Michael Lavin March 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM - Reply

What year was milk fits place on the market

4. Rock August 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM - Reply

I’ve drank Lactaid milk for years and it has never spoiled. I’m sure it is because of your fridge temp.
    I’m so thankful for Lactaid!

5. leila kostiw November 2, 2012 at 2:38 AM - Reply

I went to see a Dr today; becuse anything goes down in to my estomach it blows up like I”m 9 month pregnant. She prescribed Lactaid to me to try it on, but after I drunk 1 cup of the Lactaid my belly blowed like more then months pregnant.
    I think I’m going to stoped. No good for my problem.

6. Wanda S. February 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM - Reply

I have been drinking Lactaid milk for about 2 years and I don’t have the gas, bloating, and gurgling that has been going on for ions. I purchased a package of a Dairy Digestive Supplement which is Lactase Enzyme to take before eating cheese, etc. and I broke out on parts of my body, itching on my face, nose with red bumps on my nose and I’ve had a difficult time sleeping because of the itching. What could cause this to happen? Any one have an answer.

• Susan January 10, 2014 at 10:10 PM - Reply

I have been drinking Lactaid for years and wont drink anything else, as well as the cottage cheese. I NEVER get tummy problems with it. Its never spoiled on me and its always a COLD wonderful glass of milk. Never that sour smell as regular milk always smells.

7. Wanda S. February 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM - Reply

Thank you for whatever information you have.

8. H July 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM - Reply

Lactaid cottage cheese gives me more bloating and gas than regular cottage cheese.

9. Denise November 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM - Reply

The rash may be a symptom of a dairy allergy rather than just lactose intolerance, which can be serious. It may be a good idea to have that checked out.

Leave A Response »